Monday, November 13, 2006

Sweet Harvest







This, my latest project, is the bounty of the season executed entirely in sugar. The harvest board includes a cornucopia filled to the brim with fruits and vegetables which are interspersed with grape leaves. A ten inch cake, covered in chocolate fondant, is included in the harvest tableau.

All fruits and vegetables were first sculpted in styrofoam, covered in a gumpaste/fondant blend, then handpainted with food-grade powders. I also sprayed each piece with a food-grade lacquer to give it the slight sheen seen in the real-life model. The cornucopia was made by weaving long strips of sugar paste as one would a reed or willow basket; the grape leaves are gumpaste.

This piece was made for a corporate party and the top of the cake has the appropriate company name and message executed in gold; a sugar rope wreaths the cake bottom. The cake is my signature "Diva" cake. The bottom tier is a rich chocolate cake topped with a layer of bittersweet chocolate buttercream. Another layer of chocolate cake follows. The center filling is a chocolate ganache embedded with fresh raspberries. Next comes a butter cake tier, then a raspberry buttercream followed by another butter cake tier. The raspberry buttercream is made with a puree of fresh raspberries, a bit of sugar and a light dose of raspberry liqueur. It is wonderfully tart and offsets the sweetness and richness of this cake perfectly.

The entire cake is then encased in a "spackle" consisting of left over cake crumbs, ganache and chocolate buttercream. This paste is not only tasty but fills in any spaces in the cake and provides a perfect undercoat for the rolled fondant. And unlike a buttercream undercoat it dries firmly to the touch. I owe this "spackle" technique to Toba Garrett as described in her book "The Well Decorated Cake". Every time I "spackle" one of my cakes, I give thanks to the brilliant and talented Miss Garrett! Fondant requires a near perfect surface to which to adhere or else the final effect will be lumpy and bumpy and less than perfect. The traditional British fondant covered cake is a rather heavy fruit cake covered in marzipan then finished off with a final covering of rolled fondant. This is not a popular option in America. So the "spackle" coat is a perfect substitute for marzipan. I do occasionally use an undercoat of marzipan especially if the cake is a dense almond one.

As mentioned earlier, the cake covering is a chocolate fondant (one of my prizes from the Oklahoma Sugar Show). And it tastes just like a Tootsie Roll!

Maria

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your cakes Aunt Maria, your work is perfect.

Maria Denzer said...

Thank you Amanda. Now tell me what you REALLY think! LOL

Maria

Anonymous said...

Comment? Did you say comment? I'm
speechless. You bowl me over with
each new creation. I can't help it
if I sound biased. You're my favorite sister and I'm your greatest fan.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Maria ( I'm the adopted child in the family) love the cakes however I must say they look like diabetes waiting to happen

~Hannah

Maria Denzer said...

Hannah, your comment sure did confuse me. My immediate family consists of FIVE adopted children!Don't forget that these are special occasion cakes and a tiny sliver is more than adequate. I'm not much of a sweethtooth myself so rarely partake in my own confections. I do have some wonderful creations sweetened with all natural fruit juices or jams and approved for diabetics in limited quantities. For those who can't indulge in my sugary delights, I try to create a feast for the eyes.

Maria

Maria Denzer said...

Hi Rita, did you say favorite sister? That would be only sister unless of course you're including Hannah's mother in our very confused family. Glad you like my diabetes inducing creations...

Maria

Anonymous said...

Aunt Maria,
You spend an extrodinary amount of time working on these cakes, you really do create perfect works of art, and for that you get a ten out of ten. Every cake I see is perfect. Keep up the excellent work!
~ Amanda

Maria Denzer said...

...and a bouquet of fire-engine-redder than red sugar paste poppies to you, Amanda, for your generous comment. Many thanks, again...Antonia says my poppies look like Flamenco dancers. Horticulturally speaking, they are Papaver rhoeas.

Maria